I’m entering a marmalade competition! The Culinary Historians of Canada are hosting a Seville Marmalade competition at Fort York on 2016 February 20th.
Of course, I’m entering a jar of my Seville Marmalade!
I’m also entering Seville Marmalade Almond Date Squares in the Baking With Marmalade category.
The recipe is based on a recipe I use from the old Complete Harrowsmith cookbook, combined with some ideas from an unknown online recipe possibly from a Ricardo website, but it is mostly derived from several versions as made by our daughter, Anne, and then modified by me to strengthen the Seville Marmalade favour.
I should add that in keeping with the Persian theme of the Culinary Historians day at Fort York, we experimented with adding almonds to the date squares.
It’s noteworthy to me that the three of the ingredients are all from California: the Sevilles from Coachella, the almonds, and the dates! At what cost to the water table? …
Seville Marmalade Almond Date Squares
- 2.5c dates (good fresh dates from California, where Anne has been for the week!)
- .75c Seville marmalade ‘juice’, taken after the Seville oranges have been simmered for several hours and then steeped for another several days
- .5c dark Seville marmalade, with extra peel (taken from a ‘floaty’ batch …)
- .5 tsp baking soda
- Bring dates, Seville juice and marmalade to a boil
- Add baking soda, simmer 5–10 minutes
- 2.6c large flake oats
- 1.5c flour
- 1.25c brown sugar
- .5 tsp baking powder
- .5 tsp almond extract
- .33c flaked almonds
- 1.5c softened butter
- Line the 8″ square baking pan with parchment paper and preheat oven to 350ºF
- Mix oats, flour, baking powder, brown sugar, almond extract, and then knead in softened butter very thoroughly by hand
- Layer two-thirds of the crisp into pan, packing it well with a wet spatula
- Spread all of the date filling evenly
- Take remainder of crisp and spread lightly without packing
- Sprinkle additional flaked almonds on top
- Bake 45–55 minutes
- Cool thoroughly
- Resist tasting until absolutely essential …